We are in the home stretch! We are driving with the windows down
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and we can’t wait to spend the day with our family and friends. We’re looking forward to lots of laughter and maybe a pick-up game of football in the backyard, and, of course, an unforgettable feast.
Still, Thanksgiving is not really stress-free, especially when we’re hosting. We’re often scurrying around the kitchen working on last-minute food prep at the exact moment the doorbell rings and guests start strolling into the house.
In recent years, we’ve discovered that serving an appetizer as people arrive is an easy way to keep our hungry guests happy. They can satisfy their growling stomachs with a pre-meal snack while we get the last dish on the table.
We like to make these meatballs from scratch, especially for a special occasion like Thanksgiving. But if assembling your own meatballs feels like too much of a hassle, buy pre-made meatballs instead. Just place them in the slow cooker, top them with this delicious cranberry sauce, and cook for 2 hours on Low.
When the Cranberry Meatballs are finished, we turn the slow cooker on warm and serve them straight from the crock. While everyone is busy snacking on these meatballs, we have time to baste the turkey, mash the potatoes, cut the pie, set the table…
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, pg. 16
Makes about 50-60 meatballs
Prep Time: 30-45 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 to 4-qt.
2 lbs. ground beef
⅓ cup parsley flakes
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. minced onion
1 cup cornflake crumbs
½ cup ketchup
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
12-oz. bottle chili sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine Meatball ingredients until well mixed.
2. Form into 40-50 Meatballs and put in lightly greased baking pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until Meatballs are cooked through. (Cut one open to test.)
4. While meatballs are baking, combine Sauce ingredients in saucepan. Heat over low heat until jellied sauce and brown sugar melt. Stir frequently.
5. Place baked Meatballs in slow cooker. Pour Sauce over Meatballs, making sure that all are covered in Sauce if you’ve layered them into the cooker.
6. Cover. Cook on Low 2 hours or until Sauce is bubbly.
7. Turn slow cooker to Warm and serve with toothpicks.
1. Use 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. ground pork instead of 2 lbs. ground beef.
2. Use 10¾-oz. can condensed tomato soup, mixed with 1 tsp. prepared mustard, instead of chili sauce.