Why wait until fall or winter to have your favorite hot beverage? Try
Gingerbread Pudding Cake
We love when friends come to visit. We look forward to catching up and enjoying each other’s company and conversation. And in the days prior to the visit, we daydream about what to serve for dinner. Would our guests prefer Zesty Italian Chicken or Lasagna Soup?
But sometimes, our friends call in the afternoon with last minute plans to stop in that evening. Or we get a text that a whole herd of kids are unexpectedly coming over after school.
Instead of switching into panic mode, we head to the kitchen to whip up Gingerbread Pudding Cake.
With spices like cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, we think this cake is just perfect to serve unexpected guests at this time of year. And those spices create a sweet scent that filters through the house, adding a welcoming touch when friends walk through the door.
But the reason we turn to this recipe when company is on the way is because it’s quick and easy to make. We just mix up the batter, turn on the slow cooker, and soon the smell of baking cake fills the house. And while the slow cooker is doing all the work, we have time to scurry around the house picking up shoes, putting away the laundry, loading the dishwasher, and hiding the general clutter that tends to overwhelm the living room.
We serve this moist cake with a light nutty flavor warm with Vanilla Steamers or a scoop of ice cream. Be careful though, your unexpected guests may just turn into regular visitors after tasting this cake!
Gingerbread Pudding Cake
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, pg. 242
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-2½ hours
Standing Time: 15 minutes
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-qt.
half a stick (4 Tbsp.) butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup molasses
1 cup water
1¼ cups flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground allspice
⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup chopped pecans
6 Tbsp. brown sugar
¾ cup hot water
5⅔ Tbsp. (⅓ cup) butter, melted
1. Spray interior of slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream 4 Tbsp. butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine molasses and water until blended.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and spices. Add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition.
5. Fold in pecans. Spoon into slow cooker. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
6. In a small bowl, combine hot water and 5⅔ Tbsp. butter. Pour over batter. Do not stir.
7. Cover. Cook on High 2-2½ hours, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
8. Turn off cooker. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve cake warm.