What are your Labor Day plans? Off to the beach? Mowing the grass? Taking a nap?
If you’re planning a picnic or an outdoor get-together, try Heaping Hot Dog Sandwiches. This is our go-to hot dog recipe when the grill is already full with burgers and veggie kabobs.
Because this recipe is kid-friendly, it’s a great way to keep the kiddos occupied while you man the grill. They may just feel so successful that they’ll volunteer for other household duties as well. (Then you really can get that nap!)
While these cheesy sandwiches are cooking in the slow cooker, throw Bourbon Chicken on the grill and whip up Crunchy Pea Salad for a picnic-y side.
Heaping Hot Dog Sandwiches
Fix-It and Forget-It Kids’ Cookbook, pg. 44
Makes 5-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1¾ hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3-qt.
10¾ -oz. can cheddar cheese soup
¼ cup finely chopped onions
2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 lb. hot dogs
½ cup sour cream
1. Use a safety can opener to open the can of soup. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the soup into your slow cooker.
2. Add the onions, relish, and mustard to the soup in your slow cooker. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Use a kitchen shears to carefully slice the hot dogs into about ½-inch slices. Mix the slices into the cheesy sauce.
4. Cover your slow cooker. Cook on Low for 1¾ hours.
5. Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, use a potholder to carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker.
6. Stir in the sour cream. Cover the slow cooker for the last ten minutes of cooking time.
Serving Suggestion: Serve in hot dog buns or over squares of hot corn bread.