In the mood for some Mexican-inspired dishes? Try these wonderful slow cooker favorites!
We love carrot cake. Thick slabs of moist carroty cake, chock full of crunchy nuts and tender raisins (in fact this is the only way some of us will eat raisins), and topped with sweet swirls of cream cheese frosting. Yum. Nothing beats it.
However, we also like to fit into our jeans, and too many slices of carrot cake can, well, make that task a bit tricky. So we tend to think of carrot cake as one of those very occasional treats.
So here’s a recipe that satisfies our cravings for a moist, sweet, richly-flavored dense cake but doesn’t pack on the guilt and isn’t complicated to make.
Approved by the American Diabetes Association as a diabetic-friendly recipe, this cake is the perfect ending to a weeknight meal, even if you’re not watching your sugar intake.
We made this cake in our slow cooker, which we’ve discovered is great way to make cakes, breads, and bars if your oven is full of other parts of the meal. We used this pan as a baking insert because we like our cake to have a nice rectangular shape that is easy to slice. You can also use a 3-lb. coffee can like we did when making Lemon Bread, if you don’t have another suitable pan.
This cake is so full of warm, comforting flavor, the perfect taste for a late summer evening.
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, pg. 220
Makes 10 servings
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-5-quart
⅓ cup canola oil
1 Tbsp. hot water
½ cup grated raw carrots
¾ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ tsp. baking powder
⅛ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground allspice
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp. ground cloves
½ cup chopped nuts
½ cup raisins or chopped dates
2 Tbsp. flour
1. In large bowl, beat oil, eggs, and water for 1 minute.
2. Add carrots. Mix well.
3. Stir together ¾ cup flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to creamed mixture.
4. Toss nuts and raisins in bowl with 2 Tbsp. flour. Add to creamed mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour into greased and floured 3 lb. shortening can or slow cooker baking insert. Place can or baking insert in slow cooker.
6. Cover insert with its lid, or cover can with 8 paper towels, folded down over edge of slow cooker to absorb moisture. Cover paper towels with cooker lid. Cook on High 3-4 hours.
7. Remove can or insert from cooker and allow to cool on rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake. Invert onto serving plate.
Exchange List Values:
Carbohydrate 2.0, Fat 3.0
Basic Nutritional Values:
Calories 274 (Calories from Fat 147), Total Fat 16 gm (Saturated Fat 1.5 gm, Polyunsat Fat 6.4 gm, Monosat Fat 7.6 gm, Cholesterol 43 mg), Sodium 66 mg, Total Carbohydrate 30 gm, Dietary Fiber 1 gm, Sugars 20 gm, Protein 4 gm