We are in the home stretch! We are driving with the windows down
Apple Caramel Pie
They say you learn something new everyday. Well, today a lot of us here at the office learned that you can bake a pie in the slow cooker.
We wanted to make something comforting – something as comforting as baseball and apple pie. And then it hit us, why not make that apple pie in the slow cooker?
We felt brave and experimental and the Apple Caramel Pie turned out fabulous! The staff at The Good Cooking Store couldn’t stop raving about the light crust and soft taste of caramel in each bite. (Of course we all added big scoops of vanilla ice cream to top it off.)
So here’s to learning something new everyday and good ol’ apple pie.
Apple Caramel Pie
Fix-It and Forget-It Revised & Updated, page 248
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-qt.
2-crust refrigerated pie dough pkg.
2 22-oz. cans apple pie filling
1 tsp. cinnamon
12 caramel candies
1. Press one crust into half the bottom of a cold slow cooker, and an inch or so up half its interior side. Overlap by ¼ inch the second crust with the first crust in center of slow cooker bottom. Press remainder of second crust an inch or so up the remaining side of the cooker. Press seams flat where two crusts meet.
We realized that it might be helpful to include a photo of the two pie crusts placed in the slow cooker. Here’s what it looks like when both crusts have been pressed into the slow cooker following the directions above.
2. Cover. Cook on High 1½ hours.
3. In a bowl, mix together pie filling, cinnamon, and caramels.
4. Pour mixture into hot crust.
5. Cover. Cook on High an additional 1½ hours.
Tip: When we made this decadent pie, we had to overlap the crusts by more then ¼ inch on the bottom of the slow cooker. The crust was still large enough to move up more then an inch of the interior side. Because of this, we baked the pie for 1½ hours on low in Step 5. As we mentioned, it turned out deee-licious!