I don’t know about you, but warm weather makes me crave a refreshing drink. Lately I’ve been on an iced tea or iced coffee kick. That’s the first reason why the Vanilla Steamer caught my eye when I was flipping through Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated.
But there are other reasons the recipe caught my eye:
1. It’s easy to double or triple this recipe to serve to a backyard full of guests or simply to save for later.
2. It can be used as a sweetener for my otherwise drab cup of morning coffee.
3. I can chill the drink and add ice for a refreshing mid-afternoon “vacation” from the heat.
4. It’s light! I don’t know about you, but I’m not looking to add any extra pounds during the summer months. It’s hot enough as it is without any extra weight to carry around, plus there’s the beach and the pool and all those summer weddings…
Speaking of light, this recipe comes from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated which just came out in May! The cookbook has some extra enhancements to the original book without cutting out what you love already. It even has 100 new recipes!
So far, the Vanilla Steamer is my favorite recipe in the book.
Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated. , page 257
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3-qt.
8 cups fat-free milk
⅛ tsp. cinnamon or 2 3”-long cinnamon sticks
2 Tbsp. Splenda
2 Tbsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 Tbsp. per serving fat-free whipped topping, optional
sprinkling of ground cinnamon, optional
1. Put all ingredients except whipped topping and sprinkling of ground cinnamon in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 2-3 hours, taking care to make sure it doesn’t boil.
3. Garnish individual servings with whipped topping and a sprinkling of cinnamon if you wish.
Tip: Make a larger recipe and refrigerate the leftovers. Either reheat a serving, or use as creamer for coffee. This drink is very soothing and helps everyone relax!
90 calories (0 calories from fat), 0g total fat (0g saturated, 0g trans), 5mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrate (0g fiber, 13g sugar), 8g protein, 10%DV vitamin A, 0%DV vitamin C, 30%DV calcium, 0%DV iron