Lasagna has always been one of Merle’s favorite dishes. While I am also a fan of this savory classic, standard recipes can be a bit time-consuming. Enter a slow cooker lasagna recipe found in our Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook entitled “Convenient Slow Cooker Lasagna.”
This recipe cuts corners on a few fronts. First, you can pick a tomato sauce of your choice so you don’t need to worry about making that from scratch. The staff at The Good Cooking Store love using the local Cortazzo marinara sauces that we carry. In addition, you don’t even need to cook the noodles. It can’t get easier than that.
But, the best thing is, that while the recipe is simple to make, it still doesn’t compromise on the comforting taste that makes us all love lasagna. The next time you get a craving, give this recipe a try.
Convenient Slow Cooker Lasagna
Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook, page 489
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 30-45 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6-quart
1 lb. ground beef
2 29-oz. cans tomato sauce
8-oz. pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1½ cups cottage cheese
1. Spray the interior of the cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet. Drain off drippings.
3. Stir in tomato sauce. Mix well.
4. Spread ¼ of the meat sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker.
5. Arrange ⅓ of the uncooked noodles over the sauce. (I usually break them up so they fit better.)
6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Spoon ⅓ of the cheeses over the noodles.
7. Repeat these layers twice.
8. Top with remaining sauce.
9. Cover and cook on Low 4 hours.
1. Add 1 chopped onion to the ground beef in Step 2.
2. Add 1 tsp. salt to the tomato sauce and beef in Step 3.
3. Add ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese to the mozzarella and cottage cheeses in Step 6.
4. Add ½ cup additional shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of the lasagna 5 minutes before serving.