We needed a bit of a chocolate fix on Friday. And because nothing comforts like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, we decided to go with this Fudgy Peanut Butter Cake. Apparently the owner of our local grocery agrees because he put down the phone to have us repeat what we were making when we stopped in to buy our ingredients. Then he wondered if he could come down over his lunch break for a serving.
The cake is sturdy and the fudgy-peanut butter sauce simply melts in your mouth. Serve it warm with melting vanilla ice cream and the whole neighborhood might just be over with a bowl and spoon – even the local grocer!
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cake
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, page 258
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1½ hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 2- to 3-qt.
¾ cup sugar, divided
½ cup flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp. oil
½ tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. dry cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
1. Butter or spray interior of slow cooker.
2. Mix ¼ cup sugar, flour, and baking powder together in a small bowl.
3. In another larger bowl, mix milk, peanut butter, oil, and vanilla together. Beat well.
4. Stir dry ingredients into milk-peanut butter mixture just until combined. Spread in buttered slow cooker.
5. In bowl, combine cocoa powder and remaining ½ cup sugar. Add water, stirring
until well mixed. Pour slowly into slow cooker. Do not stir.
6. Cover. Cook on High 1½ hours, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
I take this to potlucks and it is always a hit.
Notes from the Recipe Tester:
1. I was pretty sure my kids would love this, so I doubled the recipe. I cooked that larger recipe for 2 hours. The kids came back for second and third helpings!
2. This is a pretty sturdy cake. I kept one of my test cakes for over an hour before serving it, and it was just as good, if not better, than the one we ate right away.