We like efficiency as much as any working woman or busy dad. That’s why we love Fruity Sweet Potatoes – the dish that provides both fruit and vegetables all in one sweet-tasting serving. Try it with Give-Me-More Barbecued Ribs. The sweet and spicy combination of this meal will have your kids beggin’ for more veggies!
Fruity Sweet Potatoes
Fix-It and Forget-It 5-Ingredient Favorites, pg. 190
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3- to 4-qt.
2 lbs. (about 6 medium-sized) sweet potatoes, or yams
1 ½ cups applesauce
⅔ cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon
chopped nuts, optional
1. Peel sweet potatoes if you wish. Cut into cubes or slices. Place in slow cooker.
2. In a bowl, mix together applesauce, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Spoon over potatoes.
3. Cover and cook on Low 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
4. Mash potatoes and sauce together if you wish with a large spoon—or spoon potatoes into serving dish and top with the sauce.
5. Sprinkle with nuts, if you want.
Variation: Instead of raw sweet potatoes, substitute a 40-oz. can of cut-up sweet potatoes, drained. Then cook on Low for only 3-4 hours.