There is something down-right delicious about melted cheese, creamy sour cream, and tangy cottage cheese combined with a just-right mixture of browned ground beef, mushrooms, olives, and chilies.
We can’t stop eating this Casserole Verde. It’s the perfect weeknight meal after a long day. Bet you can’t stop with just one serving either!
Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook, page 126
Prep. Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 Hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-qt.
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
⅛ tsp. garlic powder
8-oz. can tomato sauce
⅓ cup chopped black olives
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
8 oz. container sour cream
8 oz. container cottage cheese
4 ¼ -oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
12-oz. pkg. tortilla chips, divided
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated, divided
1. Brown ground beef, onions, and garlic in skillet, in oil if needed. Stir frequently to break up clumps. Continue cooking until no pink remains in meat. Drain off drippings.
2. Add tomato sauce, olives, and mushrooms to meat in skillet.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, cottage cheese, and green chilies.
4. In slow cooker, layer in one-third of chips, followed by half the ground beef mixture.
5. Follow with a layer of half the sour cream mixture and half the shredded cheese.
6. Repeat all layers, except reserve the last third of chips to add just before serving.
7. Cover. Cook on Low 2-3 hours.
8. Ten minutes before serving time, scatter the reserved chips over top and continue cooking, uncovered.