In the mood for some Mexican-inspired dishes? Try these wonderful slow cooker favorites!
Nuts about Fruit and Meat Together
I haven’t figured out why I love fruit-and-meat-combinations so much, but I can rarely resist them, whether I’m cooking or eating out. I’m so predictable that Merle often tells me what I’m going to order as we sit reading the restaurant’s menu—if he spots such a pairing.
Then I have to decide whether to go contrary and prove him wrong, or choose what’s jumping out at me—a tempting meat-fruit combo that already has me entranced.
Here are two great recipes; two more that I served to the host on my last visit to QVC. One is a meat-fruit main meal that’s so easy you won’t believe it. And the other a baked-bean-apple dish that can make a main entrée, too. These recipes wouldn’t make their mark without the lemon and the apple ingredients!
Tender Barbecued Chicken
Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook, pg 382
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep. Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 8-10 Hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 6-Quart
3-4 lb. broiler chicken
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
18-oz. bottle barbecue sauce
3/4 cup cola-flavored soda
1. Place chicken in slow cooker.
2. Top with onion and lemon.
3. Combine barbecue sauce and cola. Pour into slow cooker.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours, or until chicken juices run clear.
5. Cut into serving-sized pieces and serve with barbecue sauce. Slice any leftovers and use in sandwiches.
Apple Bean Pot
Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook, pg 567
Makes: 12 Servings
Prep. Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 Hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
53-oz. can baked beans, well drained
1 large onion, chopped
3 tart apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 pkg. smoky cocktail sausages, or chopped hot dogs, or chopped ham chunks, optional
1. Place beans in slow cooker.
2. Add onions and apples. Mix well.
3. Stir in ketchup or barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and meat. Mix.
4. Cover. Heat on Low 3-4 hours, and then on High 30 minutes.