We’ve had a lot of snow and ice and plenty of cold weather this year in our corner of Pennsylvania. Last week, when we started to long for the warm, sunny days of May, we consoled ourselves by stirring up a big slow cooker of this amazing Crockery Cocoa. Creamy, chocolaty, and down-right comforting, this hot chocolate really hit the spot. And, because it’s diabetic-friendly and not too high in calories, we didn’t feel guilty about having a second mug-full.
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, page 243
Makes 12 servings, depending on the size of your mugs
Ideal Slow Cooker: 4-5 quarts
½ cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups boiling water
3 ½ cups nonfat dry milk powder
6 cups water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Combine the sugar and cocoa powder in a slow cooker.
2. Add 2 cups boiling water. Stir well to dissolve.
3. Add dry milk powder, 6 cups water, and vanilla. Stir well to dissolve.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 4 hours or High 1-1 ½ hours.
5. Before serving, beat with a rotary beater to make frothy and downright pretty. Ladle into mugs.
Top with marshmallows and sprinkle with cinnamon, if you wish.