When Phyllis was featured on CNN this summer, she asked me to help her prepare some recipes I had tested for the Fix It and Forget It cookbooks. The Black and Blue Cobbler is one of my favorite recipes. I loved preparing it during the summer with fresh blueberries and blackberries from our local farmers market. The day that I bought the berries, they were very plentiful at the market stand, so I bought extra and froze them.
I thought about this recipe again recently and remembered my frozen berries. This is a great way to bring a bit of the summer’s bounty into some cold winter days. So pull out those frozen berries, warm up your slow cooker, dab on some ice cream and enjoy a taste of summer as the snow is flying!
Black and Blue Cobbler
Fix It and Forget It Cookbook Revised and Updated, page 247
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 – 2 ½ hours
Ideal Slow Cooker size – 5 qt.
Makes 6 servings
1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp.Vegetable oil
2 cups fresh (or frozen!) blueberries
2 cups fresh (or frozen) blackberries
¾ cup water
1 tsp. grated orange peel
¾ cup sugar
1. Combine flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
2. Combine eggs, milk, and oil in a separate bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until moistened.
3. Spread the batter evenly over bottom of greased slow cooker.
4. In saucepan, combine berries, water, orange peel, and ¾ cup sugar. Bring to boil.
5. Remove from heat and pour over batter. Cover.
6. Cook on High 2-2 ½ hours, or until toothpick inserted into batter comes out clean. Turn off cooker. Uncover and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
7. Serve with ice cream and some nutmeg sprinkled on top. Enjoy!